Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie


I flipped the script on my wife, and I made a dinner request.  This is possibly my very favorite thing she makes.  And it's a great dish for the winter.  It's warm & rich -- the perfect winter comfort food.

First you partially cook a chicken.  You can buy a lot of chicken breast for really cheap if you're willing to skin & de-bone it.  That's what The Mrs did.  You can poach the chicken, or just cook them in a pan in the oven.  Then shred it.

Next add 1/3 cup of butter and chopped onion to a large skilled.  Soften the onion and let it sweat a little.  Then add 1/3 cup flour to make a roux.  Cook off the flour and let it thicken a little.



Add 1.5 cups of chicken broth and 1/2 - 3/4 cup of milk to the roux and let it thicken.  Season with thyme, salt & pepper.  Next add the chicken and a package of frozen vegetables.



Arrange a refrigerated pie crust into an oven safe casserole dish and pour the mixture inside.



Top if with the remaining pie crust, and do an egg wash.  Cut slits in the top to allow steam to escape, then bake it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes covered in aluminum foil.  Uncover and bake for 15 minutes more until the top is golden brown.


Let it stand for about 5 minutes and serve.  I love pie crust.  Love it!  It is so buttery & rich.  Then you have the warm, creamy filling of a chicken pot pie ... and it almost makes me forget that I spent a good chunk of my day digging our house out of a blanket of snow.

Thanks honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment