Monday, February 18, 2013

Pizzadillas


This was an idea I came up with a while back when I had a good jar of pesto.  I was trying to find more ways to use that delicious garlicky spread.  So I decided to take my love of crispy cheese-filled tortillas and give them an Italian spin.  The result was so good that I'm still making them 2 years later.

This takes everything that you love about quesadillas, and marries that with some of the best parts of a pizza: namely cheese & sauce.  The crust in pizza is important -- don't get me wrong.  But somebody once described their love for thin crust pizza like this:  The crust is just a vessel for transporting the cheese and sauce into your mouth.

So if you like thin crust pizza, why not take two super-thin crusts and envelope your favorite toppings between them?

All you need to do is heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spread a little butter on one side of a nice tortilla and lay it in your skillet. Then start adding pizza ingredients. I love to spread some pesto around, and then add pepperonis, mozzarella cheese, black olives, and a little onion.  I prefer to use green onions here because they won't really cook inside your pizzadilla, so they work better than raw yellow or white onions. Plus, green onions fit better with that whole Mexican/Italian fusion thing going on here.

Top it all with the another tortilla with a butter spread on the outside. Wait until it's golden & crispy, and then carefully flip it over until it's crispy on both sides. Take it out onto a cutting board and slice it into wedges.  In this picture I dusted the outside with that Chicago Deep-Dish Pizza Pizzaz seasoning I described in the previous post, along with Parmesan cheese and oregano.

Heat up some pizza sauce for dipping, and enjoy this fun twist on two classics!


No comments:

Post a Comment