Monday, March 25, 2013

Tasty Toasts


This was another idea we got from Bon Apetit magazine.  I dog-eared the page and wen to show it to The Mrs.  She says, "Oh, I know. I already thought that looked delicious."  So we don't like the same movies, music, or sports teams (she doesn't care about sports) ... but at least we have similar tastes in food.


This recipe doesn't involve any cooking (unless you consider placing bread in a toaster cooking).  You can work on some knife skills, though.  Just last week we were talking about whether we needed a mandolin or not.  I have been trying to improve my knife skills, but my wife pointed out that you can still use a tool when it is called for.  A mandolin can make very precise, consistent, and quick slices that almost nobody can replicate by hand.  But I gave it my best effort.


I sliced these radishes by hand; and I think I did a pretty darned good job!  Then all you do is let two pieces of toast cool and then spread original Greek yogurt on them.  Letting the bread cool first will prevent the yogurt from heating up and changing in consistency.  The Greek yogurt is kind of fluffy like a savory frosting. And this is a cold preparation anyway.

Then all you do is top it with your radish slices, and some green onions sliced lenthwise.  I added a little salt & pepper too.  Bobby Flay adds salt & pepper to almost everything he makes -- including salads.  And I figure if the Iron Chef is doing it, so should I.  And seasoning is very important in cooking (or cold toast assembling).


I thought this simple dish was really quite refreshing.  There is a nice tang from the Greek yogurt and s slight bite from the green onion.  The radishes are crunch & cool, and the whole this is really a nice twist on toast.  These could be served with brunch, or just as a very light snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment