Sunday, April 27, 2014

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes


Do you think the kids will eat this if I don't peel the potatoes first?

It turns out the kids weren't feeling the potatoes as much as the glazed ham. But thankfully the adults really liked it, because I made a lot.


It started with me getting over my fear of the mandolin. Ever since my Thanksgiving thumb-slicing snafu, I've been a little scared around this tool. But it is handy, let me tell you. I perfectly sliced up five very large potatoes in a matter of minutes thanks to this handy contraption. But it did take my wife's foresight. I thought the potatoes were too large to fit (and they were); but she quite brilliantly suggested I slice then in half first.

Duh. Why didn't I think of that?

 
This dish isn't too complicated. It just requires a little patience. It starts simply with some heavy cream mixed with skim milk and several thin slices of butter. This will drive some of you nuts, but I can't really give you a recipe. I was just eyeballing it.


Then layer your thinly sliced potatoes across the bottom. Season it liberally with salt & pepper.


Top that layer with some shredded cheeses. I used Swiss, mozzarella, and provolone.  Then continue to layer cream, butter, potatoes, salt & pepper, and cheese. Repeat until you have filled up your dish.


Top it with a little more butter and bake for around an hour in a 375-degree oven. I was pretty happy this turned out so well -- especially because I had an audience while I was making it. Grandpa Gary was watching the whole time, and he's the one who bought us our Gourmet cookbook and Bon Apetit magazine subscription. So he has a discerning eye.

The family will be nice no matter what. But I genuinely think they enjoyed these. They were soft, rich and velvety delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment