Monday, April 28, 2014

Ham & Cheese Omelet


I told you all that I had to find uses for my leftover Easter glazed ham. After one (two, or three) just straight-up leftover plates. I had loaded baked potatoes, grilled ham & cheese, and now this nearly Denver omelet. I didn't use any bell peppers; so I don't think it constitutes. And I decided to finish mine with Thai chili paste and a few leaves of cilantro. So it definitely wasn't your typical Denver omelet.

Start by melting some butter over medium-low heat (about a 4 out of 10).


Toss in a few finely diced shallots and let them soften a minute or two.


I also like to saute down some sliced cherry tomatoes for a little while. Then I pull them aside and add the eggs. Whip them like crazy so you get a lot of air into them first.


Carefully drag the outsides into the middle to get the texture you want; but don't mix the eggs too much or you'll have scrambled. If you want to just leave it alone, that's fine too. A lot of times I will just leave it alone. Just be sure you get it cooked through on the top so it isn't runny when you serve them.


Season with a little salt & pepper.  After your eggs have set up, add your toppings back and carefully fold one side over. I sliced the last of my Easter ham up to be the star in this omelet. And I added a bit of shredded cheddar-jack cheese to mine as well.


Slide that beauty carefully out onto a plate and add just a few more pieces of shredded cheese so they melt and create a nice presentation. Then I like to add some green onions on top for some color & texture. As I mentioned before, I also opted for Thai chili paste and cilantro.  They actually worked well to break from the richness of the ham, cheese, and eggs.

I have found three eggs to be perfect. You can get away with just two, but it will be thinner. And any more than three (plus filling, and country potatoes) and you will need a nap after breakfast. And that isn't a very adult way to start my Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment