Monday, October 29, 2012

Mediterranean Egg Skillet


One of my favorite things to make is an egg skillet.  I'm usually not hungry first thing in the morning, so on weekends I like to wait until 10:00 or 11:00 and make a heavier brunch dish for myself.  That will often involve eggs.  As I've said before, I can make omelets, sunny side-up, soft-boiled, and now even poached eggs.  But sometimes I just feel like making a big skillet with a bunch of fresh vegetables in it.

This time I grabbed mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, green onions, black olives, and a some sharp shredded cheese. I'm calling it Mediterranean because of the tomatoes, olives, and white cheese.  If you have feta on hand, it would be the most appropriate in my opinion.  But I love goat cheese too.


I'm pretty fond of cheese as a way to add some richness and decadence to a dish.  But you have to use it in moderation.  Because I don't care what the Atkins Diet says, it's not good for you to eat a bunch of cheese.

This is another time where having your ingredients ready ahead of time (mise en place) will really benefit you. As you can see here, I used every bit of the green onions ... all the way down to the white part.  I used them in two different applications in this preparation.

I started with some butter in a non-stick pan and added the mushrooms and (white) green onions.  Let those cook down for a little bit and then add half of the diced tomatoes.  This will allow the tomatoes to break down a little and let off some of their juices.  Then I added the black olives.

After that had cooked together for a few minutes, then I added the eggs.  Crack them into a bowl first and really whisk them together, trying to incorporate as much air as possible.  Then when you pour them into the pan, start stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan quickly.  I like to keep the heat about a 4 out of 10 on the dial.  Once the eggs were almost done, I added the rest of the tomatoes, the green onions, and a little cheese.

Top the whole thing with a little more cheese and some black pepper. If you're going to use salt here, use it sparingly because the olives and cheese are already salty.  I served mine with a buttered bagel so I could scoop everything up together.  It was a nice way to fuel up for my day.  It is the incredible edible egg, after all.




No comments:

Post a Comment