Thursday, October 18, 2012

Teriyaki Ginger Chicken



I suppose this dish would fall under the "semi-hommade" category again.  My wife bought some lo mein noodles at a restaurant, and not surprising given the portion sizes these days, she had at least half of it left over.  So we decided to make a second dish using the lo mein as a base.

I took carrots and bell peppers and julienned them into small strips.  Then I sliced a chicken breast into strips, and then into bite-sized pieces.  In a non-stick pan I combined minced garlic, soy sauce, teriyaki, mustard powder, ginger, lime juice, and Sriracha chili sauce.  I cooked the chicken in the same pan as the vegetables.  Toward the end, I added a few more strips of carrots so some of them would have a little more crunch to them.
Then I re-heated the lo mein noodles and put them into wide bowls.  Pour the teriyaki ginger chicken and vegetables on top of the noodles and then top with chopped peanuts and green onions.  Little touches like the chopped peanuts make me think of good Pad Thai, and the Asian flavors running through the chicken pulled everything together.  Some other nice additions could be strips of thinly sliced onion (in lieu of the green onion), broccoli, or cilantro.  Peanut butter can also be good in dishes like this.

Once you have figured out some core ingredients that give it that Asian flavor, you can begin making twists to the vegetables and protein.  I remember beef & broccoli over white rice was one of my favorite things my dad made when I was a kid (and I was a really picky eater back then).  So don't be afraid to try things like this for your families.

No comments:

Post a Comment