Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Tuscan Chicken Stew


The Mrs cooked this dish, but she said she wanted me to blog about it.  I could interview her; but she wasn't going to write this one up.  (In case you haven't noticed, this is my pet project.)  Often I am the first one home from work and I start cooking something for dinner.  I have tried to be creative and make food we both will like.  Hopefully I do an alright job.

But there are times when my wife wants to cook.  And she usually opts for something hearty, warm, and in a bowl.  There's something very comforting about sitting over a steamy bowl of soup when the weather is cooler.  There is also a fun process of building layers of flavor in a soup.  And I think that adds to the enjoyment of cooking.  For this dish she cooked everything in one pot:  our Dutch Oven.

This dish is really hearty.  There are white beans in there to add to the tomatoes and chicken.  So you're getting a lot of good protein.  It also has leafy greens running through it -- in this case, Swiss Chard.  I had to ask more than once, "This is chicken?!" because it looked more like pork ... or even beef!  The chicken had taken on a darker color because she used red wine in the stew.  And all the built up flavors really elevated what could otherwise be lackluster pieces of chicken.

The stew was rounded out with chicken stock and Italian seasonings.  Top it off with some fresh Mozzarella cheese and you've got yourself a winner!  We baked a small loaf of Italian bread so we could tear it into hunks and dip them into the broth.  I'm really glad my wife felt like cooking because this is something I might not have made.  It's nice to compliment each other in that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment