Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Cuban Sandwich

On of the benefits of living with my wife (one of the many, I should say), is that when I grill a meat she usually has leftovers.  And that gives me the opportunity to re-purpose that in a sandwich.  I have preached on many occasions about how a leftover steak sandwich was one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten.  So when she suggested making Cuban sandwiches with her leftover pork chop, I was in!

When we were at the grocery store the other day, the smell of fresh baked bread was fantastic.  We bought a large loaf of Italian bread and just served that on the side when we grilled out.  But the next day I sliced into it to make a really great sandwich.  Having the right bread can really make a huge difference.  This was a pretty thick loaf, though, so I had to do some bread surgery to remove the center.  I believe when you're having a grilled sandwich you don't want it to be too bready.  I actually did a similar maneuver with the pork chop, slicing it into two cutlets with a very sharp knife.

So this is really, really simple.  But there's a reason these sandwiches are so popular.  They have so many bright elements to them: pickles, spicy mustard, TWO kinds of pork, and a rich melty cheese.  I'm sold.

Spread some spicy or dijon mustard on your bread, layer slices of ham, either provolone or Swiss cheese, dill pickles, and your pork.

(I nearly forgot the pickles -- which is why they aren't in this picture.  But I remembered them just in time.)

Close the top of your sandwich and put it into a panini press.  Close it tight so the sandwich is thin & pressed, but be careful not to squeeze out your filling.  Heat it until the bread gets a nice crunchy outer crust to it and the cheese is melted.  Then slice it diagonally -- for some reason that always makes a sandwich seem more special.


The pickles and mustard balance the richness of the pork(s) and cheese.  And biting through that great panini-pressed crunch and into gooey melted cheese makes it such a rewarding sandwich.

Great idea honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment