Monday, August 12, 2013

Peter Piper's Pickled Peppers


What happens when your friend has a pepper obsession that leads him to planting 22 different pepper plants?  You end up eating a lot of peppers.

We already stuffed the sweet banana peppers, so I decided to pickle a good portion of the hotter peppers.

  • White vinegar
  • mustard powder
  • garlic salt
  • coriander
  • pickling salt
  • sugar
  • bay leaf
  • a little water

I can't give you exact ratios because I just kind of throw it all together. Don't use too much sugar, though, because I don't like these to be as sweet as my pickled onions.

Boil all the ingredients in a saucepan and then let them simmer a few minutes.  Slice your peppers thinly and put them in mason jars.  You can pop out the seeds or rinse them off in a colander if you want to reduce the heat level.

Pour your hot liquid into the jars and let them sit at room temperature for 30-60 minutes before puting the tops on the jars and refrigerating.



These are great on so many foods.  I have eaten 1.5 jars already and gave another away to a co-worker.  I have really developed a taste for these briny, spicy little beauties.

No comments:

Post a Comment