Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Avocado & Chimichurri Grilled Cheese


My wife found this recipe online and e-mailed me with the subject line "Holy Cow Yum!"

Now I may not always pick up on subtle hints from the fairer sex; but that one basically smacked me over my head and said, "Make this for me."  So I was happy to give it a shot.

The Mrs. has been on a bit of an avocado kick lately.  But there is only so much guacamole a person can eat, right?  So I guess it was only natural that we find another way to use them.  I don't think I ever could have come up with this recipe.  But it's really good, and pretty easy to make.

Take a large jalapeno and cut out the seeds and ribs (unless you like it hotter).  Toss that into your food processor with 4 green onions, 1 minced garlic clove, a large bunch of cilantro, olive oil, honey, and lime juice.


Pulse everything together until you get a nice paste -- adding more liquid to get the desired consistency (and taste, obviously).


Slice up an avocado.  An easy way to do this is cut it lengthwise around the pit.  Then take your knife blade and chop into the pit, give it a quarter turn, and it will pop right out.  Then the avocado should come out really easily.


Layer the chimichuri sauce on one slice of bread, top it with white cheese (mozzarella, pepper jack, provolone, Swiss, etc.), and avocado on top.


Heat up a cast iron grill pan over medium heat.  I normally use a non-stick skillet for grilled cheese; but I was following directions.  And I think it looks cool with the grill marks.  You can either use non-stick cooking spray, or carefully butter the outside of your bread.


Be very careful when you're flipping this one over so you don't loose all your delicious filling.

The cheese and avocado are really rich and satisfying.  But the lime juice, jalapeno, onion, and cilantro balance everything out really nicely.  It is the most sophisticated grilled cheese sandwich I have ever made -- that's for sure!  My wife really liked it just as a dip for tortilla chips too.

Great idea honey.  Keep them coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment