Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pickled Red Onions


I made these for the first time last summer.  They were such a hit, that I've made them a few times since.  We originally made them as a topping for a taco bar.  So when we had our family over last weekend, my wife asked if I would make them again for everyone.  I was happy to oblige.

I start by slicing a red onion in to rings, and then slice each ring in half so you have all these little crescent moon shapes.


Then I assembled all of my pickling ingredients:

  • White vinegar
  • Apple cider vinegar
  • Pickling salt
  • Sugar
  • Mustard powder
  • Garlic powder
  • Black pepper
  • Coriander


I honestly don't have a recipe; so I'll do the best I can to recreate one for you.  I first looked up a bunch of different pickling recipes online, and then I took the parts I liked from each.

Add 1/2 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 tsp garlic salt, 1/2 tsp mustard powder, 1/2 tsp coriander, 2 tsp pickling salt, a pinch of black pepper, and 2 tbsp sugar into a small sauce pan.  Again, I'm just estimating here -- but I think that should get it pretty close.  Bring that to a simmer or a slight boil.


Remove your brine from the heat.  Add all the onions into a mason jar.


Carefully pour the pickling liquid into your mason jar and let it sit for at least 30 minutes -- but an hour or more would be ideal.  Let it cool, place the lid on, and refrigerate.


We also really like these on hamburgers or hot dogs.  The brine takes some of the bite off the red onions, which my wife really likes.  You still get the onion flavor, but it isn't as potentially offensive.  The vinegar and sugar add a nice sweet & acidic flavor profile.  I think they're delicious and can really elevate a dish.  I like to have these on hand in the summer to add as a nice flavor pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment