Monday, May 13, 2013

Cobb Salad


I really like that picture.  My wife actually came up with this idea and did the plating.  So I was merely the sous chef for this meal.  We were trying to be a little healthier for dinner.  It was a really nice night too; so I wanted to grill out.  This was a great way to achieve both.

We bought a large chicken breast from the butcher at our grocery store.  I seasoned it with my usual rub of salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.  After you have grilled the meat all the way through, let it rest a few minutes before cutting it into cubes.

I also grilled the bacon.  That was a first for me.  I started it on aluminum foil, and then when it was sturdy enough I transferred the strips directly to the grill rack.  I figured I was already using the grill ... and it would prevent our house smelling like bacon all night.

(The onion & red pepper were just something I ate on the side because I like them grilled.)

Hard boil an egg and cut that into small pieces as well.  Then you'll also slice up an avocado, green onions, and a cherry tomatoes.  Then arrange in strips your egg, chicken, avocado, bacon, tomatoes, green onion, and blue cheese.  You can choose whatever dressing you would prefer on all that. Ranch, blue cheese, or a vinaigrette would be my recommendations.

This is a really filling salad.  You have so many great things going on, you definitely won't be bored eating just a salad. And you will be full as well.  There's definitely a richness from the egg, avocado, cheese, and meat.  And the fresh vegetables balance that out nicely.  The sharpness of blue cheese and green onion will help as well so it isn't too rich.


The presentation looked great -- but eventually I had to mix everything together.  I think this was a great idea.  I'm for sure going to have to make this again some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment