Monday, June 30, 2014

Hoisin-Marinaded Steak with Onions & Mushrooms


In the previous post I mentioned when a friend invited me over to grill. He bought the food, I did the cooking. That's not a bad deal if you ask me! If any of you are familiar with Iowa grocery stores, you will know there is a widely-held belief that Fareway has the best meat market. I firmly believe that to be true. (My dad doesn't, for the record. He likes to be able to feel the meat in a cellophane packaging to gauge it's toughness.)

To quote the movie Tommie Boy: "You can get a pretty good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a cow's a$$, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it!"


Being at another person's house when you're cooking can be a challenge. I just did it over the weekend too, when I was making a new pasta salad for a family party. But this time it was a lot of fun because I had access to a pantry full of ingredients that I don't normally have. I saw hoisin sauce and got pretty excited. I decided to make up my own marinade on the fly using a little olive oil, some Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, a dash of balsamic vinegar, some pickling liquid, and a garlic-y seasoning blend.


My thought was that the Worcestershire and balsamic would play off the hoisin flavor, and the garlic and lime would balance it out and run with that Asian flair. The pickling liquid, vinegar, and lime juice all add some tangy acidity and will help to tenderize the meat a little more.

After letting that marinade for a couple hours, I grilled it up with some mushrooms & onions and we had a great meal.  Thanks Eric!







...Oh, and there was enough steak for Eric to return the favor the next morning and make me steak & eggs with cheesy hash browns. This guy really knows how to make you feel at home!



No comments:

Post a Comment