Sunday, August 31, 2014

Chicken Philly Sandwiches


The last meal I made before the birth of our son was something I was pretty proud of. My wife pulled out a boneless, skinless chicken breast from the freezer and let it defrost in the fridge. I asked if she had any plans with it ... but she didn't. So I looked around and what else we had in the house and decided I could make a pretty fantastic sandwich.


I started by sauteeing some sliced onions and bell peppers with minced garlic scapes. Then I used this wonderful "Pullman's Porkchop" seasoning that was a gift from Chicago. It has pepper, onion, garlic, (more of what I already added), salt, ginger, hickory, and some other "spices".  It's a really versatile seasoning that goes on meats & veggies alike.


You know what a pregnant lady needs in her dinner? Beer. Don't worry folks, I cooked off any trace of alcohol before serving it. But after I got some nice color and softness in my onions & peppers I some Budweiser and let it reduce down until it got sticky.


Then I added some chopped chicken breast and cooked them quickly. I added them to some whole wheat bread on a little light mayo.


I missed a photo opportunity, but I topped each sandwich with shredded cheese and got them all nice and melty in the middle and crisp and toasted on the outside. It's great to bite through a crunchy sandwich and have a gooey rich center. The beer adds some great flavor to the peppers & onions to really make this chicken sandwich sing. Yum. I was happy for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment