Sunday, August 31, 2014

Creamy Tomato-Alfredo : At-Home Chopped Challenge


My wife was 40 weeks pregnant last week. This meant we didn't have a ton of groceries in the house. A: she wasn't really in the mood for a lot of things. and B: we weren't sure if we would need to leave the house for 3 days at any moment. So I got to play an at-home version of the Food Network show "Chopped".

Enter: Tomato-Alfredo Sauce

OK. Pasta. I can do this no problem. But wait -- we only have lasagna noodles in the house. What will I do?


It's time to get a little MacGuyver on dinner. So I par-boiled these in salted water and then drained them and arranged the noodles on a cutting board to let them cool a little. Once my hand cold hold onto them without getting burned, I sliced them into strips.


If you know this blog at all, you know I can't just open up a jar and serve it as is. So I needed to add garlic, onions, and fresh tomatoes to the sauce in a saute pan.


I added the cut noodles and finished cooking them in the sauce so they would soak up as much as possible.


Top it all with some Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes, and some simple garlic bread and you've got a pretty good little dinner. I hadn't ever had this sauce before, but it was really rich. So it was nice to add some more depth of flavor with garlic and onions, and cut the richness with some acidity in the fresh tomatoes.  All in all, it was pretty good. (And my wife ate it all. Bonus.)

No comments:

Post a Comment