Sunday, August 31, 2014

Cucumber-Onion Salad


In Iowa there is a popular Italian restaurant called Biaggi's with several locations. When I go there for lunch, I usually leave feeling most pleased with a very simple side they serve. It's the cool and crisp cucumber salad with raw onions.  So when my wife decided to make it for us the other night, I was very excited.

She used some lemon cucumbers that we bought from our farmers market and sliced them very thinly. Then if you want to see good knife skills, let my wife loose on some raw onions. They were so thin, they only had one side! (Guy Fieri always says that.)

I asked her what she put into it, and this is what she said:

4 parts water

1 part white vinegar

pepper

garlic salt

I asked, "No sugar?" "Nope"

I can't figure it out, but there is some real sweetness in there. I love how it's a little salty, a little bitter, and somehow sweet. It's cool and refreshing, with a nice bite and texture to compliment all sorts of meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment