Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pork Chops Milanese




I may have to type this blog one-handed because I threw my shoulder out patting myself on the back.  This one is a keeper for sure!

When we got married the first thing I registered for that I wanted for myself was a power drill.  The next:  a Dutch oven.  And I got a bright red Mario Batali Dutch oven.  It came with a very small recipe book that I promptly filed away with all of our other recipe books and then proceeded to forget about for 14 months.  Well, I’m glad I stumbled upon that little gem.  It should come as no surprise that a Mario Batali dish is delicious.  But it’s also really easy to make.

Pound out some pork chops into ¼” cutlets.  This is a great way to relieve stress too!  I used the back of a skillet and started whacking away at them.  Dredge them in eggs and Italian bread crumbs and then fry them in a ¼ cup of olive oil with one tbsp of butter.  Let them sit for 5 minutes on one side and then carefully flip them over for another 5 minutes until they’re golden brown.  Pat them dry with a paper towel.

While they’re cooking, slice ½ lb. of teardrop tomatoes (we used heirloom) and throw them in a large bowl with a big bunch of arugula.  Add 3 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice, and salt & pepper and toss it all together.  Serve them together topped with some fresh chopped parsley and a lemon wedge on the side.  We also baked a loaf of Italian bread from the freezer isle to complete the meal.

The peppery bite from the arugula and the acid from the lemon vinaigrette cut really nicely through the richness of the pork cutlets.  This is one of the best dishes I have made … ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment