Monday, September 24, 2012

Beer Can Chicken



Chicken is a very humble ingredient.  It is often the least expensive among the Entrée choices at a nicer restaurant.  When you’re given a wedding reception RSVP card and presented with the choice of chicken or (anything else), chances are you go with the other option.  But I wanted to give chicken a chance to shine.

My parents were in town visiting, and that gave me the opportunity to try something new.  There are no better guinea pigs than people who have a full-time job of always being supportive toward you.  Plus, my dad has been trying new recipes when we come to visit.  So we figured I should push myself to try something new as well.

I had never even eaten this before.  But I’ve heard about it several times over the years, and it always gets really good reviews.  You start with a whole chicken, with the neck and gizzards removed.  Rinse it inside & out, and then pat it dry with a paper towel.  Brush the bird with vegetable oil and season liberally on both the outside as well as the inside cavity.  You could use butter instead of vegetable oil, but don’t use olive oil.  Vegetable oil has a higher burning point.  This dish will be cooking on the grill for a while, and you don’t want that burnt taste in your mouth.

Pour out (or better yet, drink) half of a can of beer.  Then I actually put dried onion & minced garlic inside the beer can.  Prop the bird on top of the beer can with the legs and the can forming a tripod.  


The beer can is going to steam the bird from the inside and keep the meat really moist and juicy.  The malt & barley are also supposed to react well with chicken to release a lot of delicious flavors.  Cook the bird over medium-high, indirect, heat for 1 hr 15 minutes until it is cooked through.  Then I took it off the can and cooked it directly over the heat for a few minutes to crisp up the skin.

It was really tender, juicy, and full of flavor!  I think it was definitely a great idea, and I’ll be doing it again some time for sure.  This was no humble bird at all.  In fact, it was quite regal.

No comments:

Post a Comment