Thursday, September 6, 2012

Korean Steak with Red Bell Peppers & Mash




If you have read the previous entry, you already know that I decided to make a Korean steak dish.  If you haven’t read it, the ingredients and technique are all there.  Just scroll down, or click on the link over to the right.

I grilled the steak whole.  I got my grill nice & hot, and then put the “seasoned” side of the steak down first.  (The side facing up in the Marinade picture)  Then I actually poured a bit of the marinade onto the steak while it was on the grill to baste it.  I wanted to get a hard sere on the meat to lock in the juices. I flipped the steak over and did the same on the other side.  Then I reduced the heat and flipped it back at an angle to create that great lattice-work grill marking the restaurants do.  One final flip to do the same on the other side and we’re done.  The whole process took about 7-8 minutes.  I like to wear a watch while I’m grilling so I know the time.  But I also poke at the steak with my finger to test how done the meat is.  You don’t want to overcook it and make it tough.  It should still be soft and plump.

Then get it off the grill and set it aside to rest.  If you cut into it right away, you will loose tons of juice which will dry out your steak, make it tougher, and let a lot of good flavor escape.  So please, let it rest a few minutes.

While the steak was grilling I also julienned some red bell peppers into long strips.  I took a pan out to the grill and cooked them in some olive oil and a seasoning mix of onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Really simple seasonings.

I also had another pan with some broccoli, butter, dried onion flakes, salt & pepper.

During this time, the Mrs. made some mashed potatoes.  She was really sneaky about this, and I didn’t even notice until I had eaten several bites.  But she snuck cauliflower into them!  I thought it was just a little chunkier mash.  You can only really notice the flavor once it has been pointed out.  But it’s a great way to sneak vegetables in on your kids … or a man-sized kid such as myself.

I sliced the steak thin, across the grain.  Then served it atop the mashed potatoes with the red peppers underneath.  It was really flavorful, moist, and quite delicious.  I’m clearly an Iowa boy (“The Hawkeye Plate”), so meat & potatoes are in my blood.  But this is a fun way to deviate from the normal steak & baked potato route.  Give it a shot some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment