Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Harvest Corn Chowder



The soup recipe comes from Gourmet Today which is a really great cookbook I got for Christmas from my grandpa a few years ago. The husband doesn't like the lack of pictures, but I feel pretty sure the results make up for it. I used a slightly cooler Sunday afternoon as an excuse to make the first Sunday night soup of the season. Homemade soup is almost certainly my #1 favorite type of food to cook. I like the process of spending time in the kitchen chopping and mixing and then having something bubbling away on a lazy Sunday afternoon.


This soup is a great combination of tasty and healthy. There is a little bit of cream and a little bit of bacon, but otherwise it's full of tons of vegetables and some chicken stock. I basically saute the onions, carrots, celery, and bell peppers until they're soft which is about 10 minutes.



Once the vegetables are soft add both regular potatoes and sweet potatoes. At this point the stock is added to make it a "soup", and it just needs time to cook and meld the flavors together. When the potatoes are soft I add lots of corn and little bit of cream. Top the soup with homemade bacon bits, tomato, and green onions, and that's it. Get a big bowl, some warm bread, and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. This post was written by my wife. And she's right on two accounts: 1. The soup is delicious. and 2. I'm like a child. I like pictures in my cookbooks. I need to give this book another look to see what else we can try from it.

    ReplyDelete